It’s PUMPKIN time in Oklahoma and I think an Easy Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin is by far the cutest way to celebrate! For September’s News on 6 appearance I showed them my favorite pumpkin cleaning hack (below) and how to make a delicious and easy pumpkin soup that is actually served IN A PUMPKIN. So cute!
News on 6 Appearance
Watch me make this EASY pumpkin soup on the news
BEST PUMPKIN CLEANING HACK
First things first, cleaning a pumpkin is a messy job. No one likes it. I saw this on pinterest and decided to give it a try when I had so many tiny pumpkins to clean for this soup! And it worked GREAT. If you’re cleaning larger pumpkins, I’d recommend using a drill with an old beater attachment. But for these smaller ones, your hand mixer works just fine!
FRESH PUMPKIN ALTERNATIVES
Listen, even with the amazing hack above, sometimes you just don’t have the energy to clean out a pumpkin. And roast it. And blend it. It can seem overwhelming, I get it. So if that’s too much, feel free to use these alternatives:
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pureed pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 2 1/2 cups roasted acorn squash
- 2 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin
- 1 large sugar or pie pumpkin cut half and seeds removed
- 4 small pie pumpkins for serving
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk separated
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- pumpkin seeds for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cut the large pumpkin into fourths, removing the seeds. Place on a baking sheet and rub 1 tablespoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Chop off the top portion of the garlic head to reveal the cloves. Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and wrap with foil. Add to the baking sheet with the pumpkin.
- Roast for 45 minutes, until the pumpkin is fork tender. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place pumpkin in a food processor and puree with 1 cup of the chicken broth, until completely smooth. See NOTE.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add butter and shallots and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Next, add the thyme and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add the pumpkin puree, roasted garlic (squeeze the cloves from the paper), remaining 3 cups chicken broth, coconut milk, water, cayenne, nutmeg, maple syrup, and crushed red pepper. Bring the soup to a low simmer and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- To assemble the soup, ladle the soup into the roasted pumpkins and top each bowl with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of cream (or coconut milk).
If you make any of these recipes, I would especially love it if you gave it a star rating ★ and review below. And please make sure you follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!