Some recipes I make are never actually meant for the blog, but the end results are so good it would be rude not share. This recipe is a great example! I was just looking for something quick and easy that my family would like. Enter: Sweet Chicken Italian Sausage with Brussels Sprouts. It is an unexpectedly fantastic combination, and healthy enough to add to your meal prep each week!
Of course, the pickled red onions are what caught my eye because I’m definitely slightly obsessed with them. This combination sounded like something my entire family would like, so I decided to give it a shot. As far as simplicity goes, this recipe is as basic as they come.
I shared my pickled red onion recipe on Instagram, but I’ve recapped it here because I can’t stop making them and adding them to everything!
Quick Pickled Red Onions
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 large red onion, sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
Combine red onion, vinegar and kosher salt in a mason jar. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before using (stir often). Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
You can use either hot or sweet Italian sausage for this recipe. I chose sweet because of the kiddos, but next time I make it I’d like to try a combination. The key is letting the Brussels sprouts get extra crispy before stirring the first time so they turn nice and brown.
Like I mentioned before, with only three ingredients this dinner is as easy as can be. We’ve even started making a batch every Sunday for meal prepping lunches throughout the week!
Let me know if you try it and if you like it as much as we do. I think you will!
Italian Sausage and Brussels Sprouts with Pickled Red Onions
Italian Sausage & Brussels Sprouts with Pickled Red Onions
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken Italian sausage (hot or sweet), casings removed
- 1 ½ pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- Mix onion with vinegar and salt, stir to thoroughly combine, set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium–high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into smaller pieces as you go. Stir occasionally, until the sausage is browned and crispy (about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove sausage from skillet to a paper towel lined plate, make sure to leave any fat in the skillet.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Once heated (1 minute), add the brussels sprouts cut-side down. Season with salt and pepper. Let the brussels cook without stirring for about 5 minutes until the brussels sprouts are well browned. Stir to brown the brussels sprouts all over (another 5-8 minutes).
- Add the Italian sausage to the brussels sprouts and stir to combine.
- Serve topped with pickled onions.
Adapted from NY Times Cooking