Tequila and I are not exactly BFFs. We actually parted ways a very long time ago (it was best for both of us), and I was sure I was finished with her forever… until I had my very first paloma. With grapefruit as one of the main ingredients, this drink is the perfect balance of sweet and sour. I guess tequila and I both grew up!
With two little ones at home, we can’t go out for fancy adult beverages without it being a whole “thing.” I took this as an opportunity to work on my mixology skills, and I’ve been whipping up some fun new drinks at home. It’s cheaper, closer and I’m learning a new fun kitchen skill that will be super useful for future parties.
Photography by Emily Steward
The best way to take your cocktail from amateur to pro status is to add a fun rim. For these palomas, I chose to do a fun chile lime salted rim. First pour a little simple syrup onto a flat plate, and add your seasoning to a separate plate. Next, simply dip the rim of your glass into the syrup and dip it into your spice mixture.
I think this is one of the best and easiest homemade cocktails to have in your arsenal. If you make a batch this weekend, don’t forget to invite me over for a taste test, okay?
Perfectly Refreshing Paloma Recipe
- ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup or sugar + more for rim
- ¼ cup tequila
- ¼ cup club soda
- chile lime seasoning or kosher salt
- Pour some simple syrup on a plate and the chile lime seasoning on another. Dip the rim of your glass in the syrup and then the seasoning.
- Stir the grapefruit juice, lime juice, and syrup/sugar in a cocktail glass until dissolved. Add the tequila, ice, and top with the club soda.