I don’t know which word in “puff pastry breakfast casserole” is my favorite, because they’re all winners. This is always a guaranteed hit at breakfast or brunch in our house. You can make it using various breakfast meats, cheeses and even whip up a vegetarian option that will make you think you don’t even need meat in your life. Basically, if you can turn on an oven, you can make this delicious breakfast dish.
The recipe that inspired this uses Gruyere cheese which is always a favorite, but also very expensive — I think I spent $20 on cheese alone! I tried using shredded cheddar instead, which is always my favorite (the sharper the better, am I right?) anyway. I am typically a “shred it yourself” kind of gal, but I recently used a Kraft pre-shredded blend that works perfectly in this casserole in a pinch. You can really use any cheese you prefer. It will still be super tasty, I promise!
That’s actually the beauty of this recipe, it’s very adaptable. You can use any combination of ingredients you want and it will still be a crowd pleaser thanks to the magic of the puff pastry. Trader Joe’s makes my favorite, but it’s seasonal, so any puff pastry will do if you forgot to stock up.
In the interest of saving time, you can pre-cook the onion and breakfast meat (or veggies) the night before so that in the morning, all you have to do is assemble the casserole. Don’t forget to put your frozen pastry dough in the fridge to thaw overnight!
In the morning, simply layer the puff pastry, the meat/onion mixture, the egg and cream, and top with cheese and bake. Pour yourself a mimosa and 40 short minutes later, brunch is served.
I don’t know a single person who doesn’t absolutely love this casserole. I just hope you feel as strongly about it as my family does! Let me know what combinations you try and if you find any that I need to add to my rotation.
Puff Pastry Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Puff Pastry Breakfast Casserole
- 1/4 lb puff pastry thawed
- 12 slices bacon cut into ½" strips
- 1 medium onion halved & thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded Gruyere (or cheddar)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until the pieces start to brown (4 to 5 minutes).
- Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crispy and the onions are lightly browned (5 to 7 minutes). With a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to a plate; let cool slightly.
- While the bacon/onion mixture is cooking, unroll puff pastry to 10-inch square and place in an 8-inch square baking pan. (You might need to fold the corners to fit.) Prick bottom of dough with a fork.
- Spread the bacon/onion mixture over pastry.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the bacon/onion mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until filling is set and top is golden (about 40 minutes).
If you make this recipe, I would especially love it if you gave it a star rating ★ and review below. And please make sure you follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
I cannot wait to try this recipe in the morning!
I hope you love it as much as we do!