Is it just me or does it seem as if everyone’s schedules ramp up in the fall? There are school sports, after-school activities, homework… I’m tired just thinking about it. Enter: Slow Cooker Chicken with Butternut Squash. This perfect-for-fall recipe is the answer for those chilly evenings when you don’t have time to cook dinner but need a nutritious and delicious meal on the table. I partnered with Reasor’s to put together a dish for their Bountiful Harvest theme, and between their pre-cut butternut squash and the help of everyone’s favorite kitchen appliance — the slow cooker — this one is almost too easy to get onto the dinner table.
I love my slow cooker so much. It can go from stove top to oven to slow cooker, making it super versatile. It’s pricey but it’s so worth it in my opinion. I got mine seven years ago (thank you, wedding registries!), and it’s still going strong today. And I use it A LOT.
If you’re not quite ready to bite the bullet on the cadillac of slow cookers, here are some alternatives with great reviews that will give you exactly the results you want every time. I could talk slow cookers all day!
The most important thing to remember for flavor is to take the time to get the chicken crispy before cooking. By doing this you seal in all the flavors, and you won’t run the risk of the chicken drying out.
I served mine over turmeric couscous and topped it with parsley and slivered almonds. It was a hit with my whole family, and we’ll definitely keep it in the meal plan throughout this hectic fall season.
Slow Cooker Spiced Chicken with Butternut Squash Recipe
Slow Cooker Spiced Chicken with Butternut Squash
- 1 medium butternut squash about 2 cups, peeled & chopped in 1-inch wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice alternatives: white wine, chicken broth or water
- cooked couscous or rice for serving
- almond slivers and parsley for serving optional
- Place the butternut squash cubes in the bottom of the slow cooker and season with salt & pepper.
- Heat the the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with plenty of salt. Place the chicken, skin side down, in the oil and cook until it is golden & crispy (it should release easily from the pan), about 6-7 minutes.
- Put the chicken (skin side up) in the slow cooker on top of the squash.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the onion, until softened (5 minutes). Next, add the garlic, and cook about 1 minute. Add in the paprika and cumin and continue to stir for another minute. Pour in the lemon juice and stir to scrape off any browned bits from the skillet. Place the mixture on top of the chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with couscous or rice, topped with parsley & slivered almonds.