What is it about turning something into a kabob that makes it more fun to eat? These spiced beef skewers are definitely fun to eat, but they’re also just about the tastiest healthy meal I’ve had in… maybe ever.
If you’re curious what makes these skewers “spiced,” the answer may be unexpected — it’s allspice! Are you familiar with allspice? I have some in my pantry for the occasional seasonal dessert, but until now I never really gave it much thought (or use).
No allspice? No problem!
Although there is technically no substitute for allspice… don’t stress if it’s not something you keep in your cabinet. It’s usually only called for in very small amounts (like in this recipe), so you likely won’t miss it if you omit it.
If you can’t stand to break the rules of the recipe, you can whip up a DIY allspice in no time.
Homemade Allspice Blend
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine spices in a small jar and shake until blended.
Stick ‘Em Up
These wooden skewers are perfect for the recipe, but don’t be afraid to raid your kids’ popsicle stick crafts if you can’t wait to make this recipe, which is the appropriate reaction.
These are great for meal prepping, because you can prepare the skewers up to two days in advance and cook them when you’re ready to serve. I mean, it’s practically too easy.
Serve Your Skewers With…
We had ours with air-fried potatoes, which of course is the BEST way to fry potatoes. Check out that recipe below, or some other fabulous sides that would be a perfect complement to your spiced beef skewers.
The best part? This recipe is low-carb, Whole30 compliant, Keto- and paleo-friendly! Get these in your meal plan as soon as possible, and please let me know what you think. I love hearing from you!
Spiced Beef Skewers
- 8 popsicle sticks (or flat wooden skewers)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Soak skewers in water 30 minutes.
- Combine beef, onion, parsley & all spices in a large bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes (freezer for 5).
- Divide the ground beef mixture into 8 oval portions.
- Insert the popsicle stick into each oval.
- Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Place skewers in the skillet, flip after 3-4 minutes. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes until cooked through.