When it gets to be unbearably hot outside, the absolute last thing I want to do is cook. I don’t even want to eat anything hot, much less stand over a hot stove. If you’re still on the fence about this whole salads-as-entrees thing I’ve been talking about, this watermelon kale salad will be the thing to finally sway you.
The best game plan is to make sure you have all the ingredients on hand and chopped ahead of time, because all these ingredients are delicious and during the summer they should all be staples anyway. Plus, you’ll always be ready to throw this salad together when the heat gets to be too much.
A friend of mine brought this salad to my house last summer and I’ve been dying to replicate and share it here! I would have never thought to put these ingredients together, but together they are pure salad magic.
To me, what makes a salad less boring is an unexpected crunch. I’m always talking about my salad with grapenuts, and this salad has sunflower seeds, which are a sneakily-good combination with the watermelon. Always love a little salty and a little sweet!
Watermelon Kale Salad Recipe
Watermelon Kale Salad
- 1 (5 oz) package of baby kale
- 1/2 c. watermelon
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds
- 1/4 c. Balsamic vinaigrette
- Parmesan, shaved (for serving)
- Heat small skillet over medium heat. Toast sunflower seeds, stirring constantly, until fragrant and warmed (about 2-3 minutes).
- In a large bowl, toss half of the ingredients together to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to gently toss.
- Serve with shaved Parmesan on top.