This morning it has been a little rough around here. I haven’t gotten much sleep the past few nights, which always makes me a little (or a lot) less patient than I should be. Enter: Homemade Baked Buttermilk Zucchini Donuts!
All of us working together in the kitchen… then, patiently waiting for them to bake and cool. Finally enjoying the fruits of our labor together was just what we needed to (hopefully) turn the day around!
GF Flour or All-purpose Flour
I used gluten free flour for these and you seriously couldn’t tell a difference! However, if you don’t have a gluten intolerance or gluten allergy, regular AP flour would work perfectly in this recipe too!
BUTTERMILK IS GREAT FOR BAKING
The combination of the zucchini and buttermilk make these donuts super moist and the tangy sour cream glaze is the perfect addition on top!
Buttermilk’s acidity (similar to that in yogurt and sour cream), helps tenderize the gluten in flour giving baked goods a softer texture with more body.
So, if a recipe calls for baking soda, then you will definitely want to use buttermilk! Since baking soda is a leavening agent, it actually requires acidic ingredients to activate.
That’s why these buttermilk pancakes and buttermilk blueberry muffins are so delicious!
Using zucchini in baked goods adds moisture and texture. And you don’t even need to PEEL it! Just be sure to squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini after you shred it. Squeezing it in a tea towel or paper towel should do the trick!
My boys loved adding sprinkles to their donuts because sprinkles make everything better, right? How do you like YOUR donuts?
Things you may need
Sharing is Caring
If you make this recipe, I would especially love it if you gave it a star rating ★ and review below. And please make sure you follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
GF Baked Buttermilk Zucchini Donuts
- 1 cup gluten free flour (you can use regular AP flour as well)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup zucchini shredded & squeezed
- 1/2 cup sour cream (substitute room temp cream cheese, if preferred)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and prepare a 6-donut baking pan with baking spray or butter/flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk the melted butter, egg, yogurt and buttermilk together. Gently fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined (don't over mix).
- Carefully scoop the mixture into the donut pan and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes before frosting.
- Stir together powdered sugar, sour cream, vanilla and milk. Drizzle over the donuts and enjoy!
I made them late this morning and they tasted delicious!
I had to modify a few things because of what I had on hand. I only had regular vanilla yogurt so used 2 Tbsp of that along with 1 Tbsp. of sour cream instead of plain Greek yogurt. No buttermilk so soured some half n half because I wanted it a bit thicker to compensate for no Greek yogurt. I also added around 3/8th tsp of nutmeg to the dry ingredients and probably could have added a bit more. Added to the flavor at least for my taste. I had 2 Oz of cream cheese on hand and added extra sour cream to make 1/2 cup when making the icing and I also added an extra Tbsp. of powdered sugar because I’m not a fan of tangy, tart. I have no donut pan and tried to improvise. Let’s just say my mutant “Do-Muffins” may not look pretty but they sure taste good. 👍 I will definitely make them again.
I love that!!! I’m glad you enjoyed them!! Our family sure did!
This recipe is so easy and such a great way to get some veggies into a sweet treat. I’ll definitely make these again.
I’m so glad you enjoyed them!!! Ours didn’t last long 🙂