This morning it has been a little rough around here. I haven’t gotten much sleep the past few nights, which always makes me a little (or a lot) less patient than I should be. Enter: Homemade Baked Buttermilk Zucchini Donuts!
All of us working together in the kitchen… then, patiently waiting for them to bake and cool. Finally enjoying the fruits of our labor together was just what we needed to (hopefully) turn the day around!
GF Flour or All-purpose Flour
I used gluten free flour for these and you seriously couldn’t tell a difference! However, if you don’t have a gluten intolerance or gluten allergy, regular AP flour would work perfectly in this recipe too!
BUTTERMILK IS GREAT FOR BAKING
The combination of the zucchini and buttermilk make these donuts super moist and the tangy sour cream glaze is the perfect addition on top!
Buttermilk’s acidity (similar to that in yogurt and sour cream), helps tenderize the gluten in flour giving baked goods a softer texture with more body.
So, if a recipe calls for baking soda, then you will definitely want to use buttermilk! Since baking soda is a leavening agent, it actually requires acidic ingredients to activate.
Using zucchini in baked goods adds moisture and texture. And you don’t even need to PEEL it! Just be sure to squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini after you shred it. Squeezing it in a tea towel or paper towel should do the trick!
My boys loved adding sprinkles to their donuts because sprinkles make everything better, right? How do you like YOUR donuts?
Things you may need
Sharing is Caring
GF Baked Buttermilk Zucchini Donuts
- 1 cup gluten free flour (you can use regular AP flour as well)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup zucchini shredded & squeezed
- 1/2 cup sour cream (substitute room temp cream cheese, if preferred)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and prepare a 6-donut baking pan with baking spray or butter/flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk the melted butter, egg, yogurt and buttermilk together. Gently fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined (don't over mix).
- Carefully scoop the mixture into the donut pan and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes before frosting.
- Stir together powdered sugar, sour cream, vanilla and milk. Drizzle over the donuts and enjoy!