I’ll be the first to admit I’m really not a big fan of beets. For some reason, they taste like dirt to me. I guess the sophisticated way to describe it would be “earthy.” So when someone brought this salad to Cookbook Club I grabbed a very small taste. But after trying this delicious combination of beets, Brussels sprouts, goat cheese and bacon, I quickly went back for more. Since then, I’ve made this salad two or three times because I love it so much!
The difference in the beets in this salad versus the beets I’ve tried in the past is that these are pickled. As you all know, I love almost all things pickled, so it makes sense that I can now add pickled beets to that list.
I like combining arugula and spinach, but you could use any leafy green you like. That’s because the star of the show is the combination of toppings and, of course, the homemade salad dressing.
This salad is pretty big so when I make it at home for us it’s our main meal. If I make it for a group, it is the perfect side salad paired with grilled chicken or a hearty protein of your choice.
Salads typically don’t make the best leftovers, but this one is still pretty good the next day! If you think you want to save some for another day, set it aside before dressing the salad so it doesn’t get soggy.
Bonus: my kids actually liked it too! They love mandarin oranges so they were willing to actually try it, which I’m sure you know is half the battle! This logic might even work on husbands, too!
Let me know your favorite way to eat beets — I’ll try to learn to love them!
Brussels & Beet Salad (with Bacon!)
- 1 bag shaved sprouts
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 jar 16-oz pickled beets, drained and chopped
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
for the salad dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula, spinach and shaved Brussels together and set aside.
- Using a saucepan, saute' the bacon over medium heat until crispy and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Toast the pine nuts in the bacon grease over medium-low heat until, stirring often. Place pine nuts with the bacon.
- Drain the beets and dry them out with paper towels. Give them a rough chop and add them to the salad bowl. Next, add the drained mandarins, bacon, pine nuts and goat cheese.
- DRESSING: Whisk the salad dressing ingredients until well combined. Pour over the salad and toss to combine.
[…] Beet & Brussels Sprout Salad with Goat Cheese […]