‘Tis the season of holiday parties! Of course I always bring a gift, but I’ve become so bored with the standard wine or flowers. So I came up with the perfect thing: Butter! Everyone loves it, it’s almost too simple to make, and takes practically zero effort. You’ll be a hero without even breaking a sweat!
To me, packaging the gift is the best part. I like to use these fancy Weck jars, then tie a cute ribbon around the neck of the jar. Just attach a handwritten note that simply says “thank you,” and you’ll be surprised how elegant this presentation looks!
3 Butter Recipes You Can’t Live Without
1. Garlic Parmigiano Butter
This butter is so delicious, you could put it on practically anything you want. I use it to elevate roasted veggies by adding it at the end and broiling until golden brown. Smear it on your dinner rolls to make them taste a little bit fancier. Spread it on your bread for grilled cheese sandwiches and get an extra layer of cheese — which is never a bad idea. You get the point. This is a MUST in your kitchen, so why not your hosts’ as well?
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 2 large garlic cloves diced
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Using a food processor, pulse the butter with the garlic and cheese until smooth.
- Season with salt & pepper and scrape it into a small storage bowl
- Serve with warm rolls, roasted vegetables, scrambled eggs, etc.
2. Whipped Honey Butter with Sea Salt
I originally made this as part of a gift for my baby shower years ago. I packaged it with banana bread and coffee as sort of morning-themed gift. Everyone raved about it, so it’s been one of my gifting staples since then.
The key is to whip the butter until it is light and fluffy — and then whip a little more. I taking this to a party along with banana or pumpkin bread so the host has an easy breakfast the next day. Pro tip: double the recipe so you have some, too. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
Whipped Honey Butter
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 2 pinches of Sea Salt
- Place softened butter in a mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Whip on high for 3 minutes, slowly drizzling the honey and sprinkling the sea salt.
- Store the butter in a glass jar fitted with a lid.
3. Savory Herbed Compound Butter
Compound butter is a great complement to steak, chicken or vegetables. It sounds super fancy, but really it’s just a mixture of butter, herbs and spices. Roll it in parchment paper and refrigerate it, then you just slice off a “round” when you need it. Write on the outside of the paper in fancy lettering to make this gift even more sophisticated!
Herbed Compound Butter
- 1 lb butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives chopped
- 1 Tablespoon thyme chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sage chopped
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary chopped
- First, chop the butter into small, uniform chunks.
- Place the oil into a food processor along with the chives. Process until the chives are finely chopped.
- Next, add the remaining herbs. Pulse until the oil has been colored by the herbs.
- Add butter to your mixing bowl and using the whisk attachment, whip at a medium speed until it's light and fluffy and is light in color (5-7 minutes).
- Drizzle in the herb oil and beat for another 2-3 minutes until the oil is fully incorporated.
- Spoon the butter onto parchment paper (or plastic wrap). Roll it into a tight log. Chill for 2 hours before serving.
I’m curious — what’s your go-to hostess gift? I am always looking for new ideas!